Instructions on discharge
- On the day of discharge the drains will be removed.
- The pressure garment is to be worn day and night for 2 weeks.
- All dressings to be kept dry until further instructed.
- TED stockings to be worn for 2 weeks.
- Discharge with standard painkillers.
- Usually about a week after the surgery to check on the wound.
- First 2 weeks – minimal upper body activities.
- 2-6 weeks – normal daily activities including driving but no excessive stretching.
- 6 weeks onwards – all activities.
General scar care for first 3 months
- Micropore tape to the scars – once well healed – for at least 3 months.
- Micropore tape is to stay on for showering and baths and simply patted dry and not to be changed until it is very loose and almost falling off by itself. Frequent removal of the micropore tape can irritate the scar.
- Moisturise the scar after first 3 months.
- Moisturise the surrounding breast skin.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS OR HAVE ANY QUERIES FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE WARD.