TWILIGHT ANAESTHESIA (Conscious Sedation)
TOTAL INTRAVENOUS ANAESTHESIA
WHAT IS TWILIGHT ANAESTHESIA (Conscious Sedation)?
What is Twilight Anaesthesia (conscious sedation)?
Twilight Anaesthesia (conscious sedation) is a form of anaesthesia that can be controlled so that you are asleep but still able to breath by yourself. There is no need for intubation as in General Anaesthetic. The aim is to keep you pain free and comfortable.
You will usually have little, if any recollection of the procedure afterwards. Due to the nature of the sedative drugs given, you wake up quicker and with little of the side effects of a general anaesthetic.
The Twilight Anaesthesia sedation technique involves sedative drugs given as an injection into your arm. It is administered by a Consultant Anaesthetist. An Anaesthetist is a medically qualified doctor who undertakes extensive postgraduate training in the field of anaesthetics and sedation. All our anaesthetists are Consultants with years of experience.
TIVA is the next stage in the continuous spectrum of anaesthesia using exactly the same techniques as Twilight Anaesthesia. You are much deeper in your sleep and will need airway management via a laryngeal tube and a ventilator. This is used used only in procedures that require airway protection eg Rhinoplasty. Preparation and Recovery for TIVA is similar to Twilight Anaesthesia.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF TWILIGHT ANAESTHESIA / TIVA?
Are you a patient interested in Twilight Anaesthesia / TIVA?
Are you escorting someone home after Twilight Anaesthesia / TIVA?
PRE AND POST SEDATION INSTRUCTIONS
Before your Twilight Anaesthesia / TIVA, you must tell us if you are:
- Undergoing treatment for a medical condition
- You must phone and inform the clinic if you develop a cold or chest problems or if there is any change to your health or medication.
For 24 hours after having Twilight Anaesthesia / TIVA, you must:
- You must not Drive
- You must not take a bus or taxi or be unescorted home without a responsible adult.,
- You must not be driven home as a passenger on a motorcycle or bicycle.
- Do not operate machinery (this also means cooking and making hot drinks).
- Do not make any important decisions (e.g. sign business or legal documents).
- Do not undertake any strenuous activity.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- You must not be responsible for children