On a side street off the famous Wangfujing Street in Beijing, there are dozens of street stalls selling Beijing delicacies like skewered scorpions, beetles, lizards, starfish, seahorse, grasshoppers etc. The Chinese have always believedin the medicinal properties of many of these additions to their staple diet.
For example, the shell of many of these bugs contain glucosamine which we know prevent joint deterioration. Scorpions produce a strong toxin which dispels other toxins in the liver. It helps relieve bloating due to ‘trapped wind’ and has an anti-inflammatory action on joint pains. Seahorse is good for the kidney and lizards for virility. When faced with the bugs still wriggling on their kebab stick before being deep fried in oil, I decided to stick to my glucosamine capsules.
I can however recommend the following more conventional health foods that do not wriggle, fly or crawl. They are mostly fruits and vegetables which are loaded with vitamins and minerals that facilitates skin regeneration, speeds metabolism and renew cells.
1) Citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, clementines) – loaded with Vitamine C which boosts the immune system
2) Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, strawberries) – loads of Vitamin C with anti-aging and anti-cancer properties
3) Broccoli – contains phytochemicals sulforaphane that blocks formation of tumours and loaded with vitamin C.
4) Beans – loaded with folic acid and fiber to keep you slim, plus an impressive source of complex carbohydrates
5) Salmon – has Omega 3 fatty acids which is good for the heart and anti-aging properties by boosting collagen synthesis
6) Avocado – has Vitamin E and other anti-aging properties
7) Almond nuts – has poly-unsaturated fat that lowers your bad cholesterol level and protects your heart
8) Lean red meat – 3oz portion of lean meat provides more than 50% RDA of Zinc which fights viruses and carcinogens.
9) Plums (dried plums are called prunes) – high in antioxidants and Vitamin C for anti-aging and good for colonic detoxification
10) Pomegranate – super fruit loaded with antioxidants for anti-aging
Reduce/avoid the following :
1) Sugar – includes packaged fruit drinks. Good alternatives are honey or molasses.
2) Salt – also found in canned food and seasonings.
3) Saturated fats – animal fats
On the other hand, if ever you are in Beijing and feeling adventurous, many would swear by the crunchy scrumptious taste of delicious freshly fried scorpions. Anything ‘for a life more beautiful’……….