Instructions on discharge
- On the day of discharge nasal packs will be removed.
- The nasal splint needs to stay until the dressing clinic at about 1 week.
- All dressings to be kept dry until further instructed.
- TED stockingsto be worn for 2 weeks.
- Discharge with standard painkillers.
- Usually about a week after surgery when the sutures at the columella of the nose and the splint are removed.
- No restrictions but avoid sporting activities for the first 2 weeks.
- Moisturise the scar for 3 months.
- Once the splint is removed the inside of the nose can be gently cleaned by dipping the nose in a bowl of salt water (room temperature water with a pinch of salt) and gently cleaning with a cotton bud. The water can also be breathed into the nose and spat out to give a more thorough cleaning.
- No blowing of nose – any discharge can be gently wiped.
- Coughing and sneezing through the mouth.
- Keep the head upright sleeping on a few pillows and avoid bending the head down.
- Avoid crowded areas for the first 3 weeks to avoid accidental knocks to the nose.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS OR HAVE ANY QUERIES FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE WARD.