Kat & Co highly recommends Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) during the recovery phase following cosmetic surgery.
This specialised form of massage is generally believed to decrease recovery time and improve results by reducing post-surgical swelling and fibrosis.
Kat & Co’s Senior Skin Therapist, Julie Timmins recommends patients start their course of lymphatic drainage within the first week of surgery depending on the type of surgery. For instance:-
- Liposuction – start the day after surgery or as soon as possible
- Face and neck lift surgery – start one week after surgery when the compression garment has been removed
- Eyelid surgery – start one week after surgery when the stitches have been removed
- Rhinoplasty – start one week after surgery when the splint has been removed
- Body contouring eg abdominoplasty, arm reduction, thigh reduction – start one week after surgery when the dressing has been reduced.
We would recommend 6 sessions of lymphatic drainage starting with 3 the first week, 2 the second week and then weekly until the swelling has settled. However, you may not need as many and the sessions can be tailored to your schedule.