Instructions on discharge
- On the day of discharge the pressure garment and drains are removed and a gentle hair wash will be done. Hair can be washed as normal after this.
- Polyfax antiseptic ointment to be applied to the scars in the scalp and in front and behind the ear twice a day for about 2 weeks.
- Ice compress for the 2 days whilst in hospital.
- Sleep with head slightly elevated on a few pillows for the first 2 weeks and avoid bending the head down.
- TED stockings to be worn for 2 weeks.
- Discharge with standard painkillers.
- Usually about a week after the surgery to check on the wounds and at the end of the second week to remove the metal clips in the scalp.
- No restrictions but avoid strenuous activities for about the first 2 weeks.
Wound care for first 3 months
- Moisturise all scars for at least 3 months.
- Moisturise face and neck religiously.
- Avoid direct sunlight for the first 3 months.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS OR HAVE ANY QUERIES FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE WARD.