Instructions on discharge
- On the day of discharge the drains will be removed.
- Panty-girdle to go over the dressings and to be worn day and night for 2 weeks and just during the daytime for next 3 months.
- TED stockings to be worn for 2 weeks.
- All dressings to be kept dry until further instructed.
- Discharge with standard painkillers.
- Appointment approximately 1 week after surgery when the dressing will be changed to a lighter dressing.
- Usually one or two dressings after this when the wound will still need to be kept dry.
- The first 2 weeks – minimal activities eg walking to the toilet, having meals and washing up.
- 3-6 weeks normal daily activities including driving, etc.
- 6 weeks onwards – can start sporting activities but no abdominal exercises for 6 months.
General scar care for first 3 months
- Micropore tape to the scars – once well healed – for at least 3 months. The micropore tape is to stay on for showering and baths and simply patted dry and not to be changed until it is very loose and almost falling off by itself. Frequent removal of the micropore tape can irritate the scar.
- Moisturise scar after first 3 months.
- Moisturising the rest of the abdominal skin and umbilical scar with active stretching of the umbilical scar to prevent shrinkage of the scar.
- Panty-girdle during the day for 3 months. Bikini and other panties are OK for holidays and the odd special occasion.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY PROBLEMS OR HAVE ANY QUERIES FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE WARD.